Thorneye loves you <3
I had this flickering LCD TV, as seen in the video. It went on for an increasingly amout of time for up to five minutes on startup. I really didn't want to throw it away, and i didn't want to pay loads of money for the reparation. So I went on to research the issue and found a lot of people with the same, or similar, problem. I concluded that the problem occurred due to failing capacitors in the power supply unit.
To confirm this I simply opened up the back of my TV, which was surprisingly easy, and started to search for errors. My suspicion was confirmed quickly as i spotted the failing capacitors (first image), obviously found near the connection of the power cord.
Beware the risk of shocks if you're about to venture into your own TV, the capacitors can hold a charge for some time. If you don't want to get shocked the easiest way is to disconnect the TV and leave it be for a couple of hours. Option two is to safely discharge the capacitors (see google)
The capacitors had started to bulge and traces of leaked electrolyte fluid could be seen (first image). The top should be flat and clean as seen on the others capacitors (second image)
When the identification of the problem was done, next step was to get specifications of the failing capacitors. If you're not familiar with electronics I bet the retailer will be happy to help if you supply them with all specifications you can get from the casing of the capacitors and the purpose for their use.
After getting the repair parts delivered the only thing remaining was to replace the faulty units. The circuit board was unmounted to allow the installation. For the reparation some proper desolder-/soldering equipment and some soldering skills came to use. I am not used to soldering at all, but after some study of soldering basics, and some common sense, I got it done. The hardest part is the desoldering, but the electronics in the power supply is not too delicate which ease things up. Then its just to put in the new capacitors (third image) and the TV should be up and running again!
My TV have been fully functional without flickering since this fix (2011-12-09)
To streamline your web for mobile devices might seem troublesome, especially if your on windows, since there is no iOS emulation available. And if you're like me and don't have an Iphone or smart phone, it gets really tricky to know how things display. Since about 30% of mobile users has an Iphone and almost as many use android, you would probably target functionality for these two with Iphone firstly in mind: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_mobile.asp
The android SDK features an emulator and there's a lot of well documented information so lets leave that to: http://developer.android.com/index.html
To get up to speed and make your page viewable on mobile devices the easiest thing is to cut off abundant information which isn't interesting for mobile users. You can stop the server to send out information (which you should if there's anything requiring loads of band width), or you can just choose to display stuff differently with a CSS for handheld, and small screens.
I find it easiest just to create three style sheets and assign them to three different media. One will cover the basic design which is common over all platforms and then two separate for regular displays versus handheld/small screens. (Expand code below)
Have in mind that the Iphone has a portrait resolution of 320x480px.
You can probably work out what the meta tags are for (otherwise just google it), and what I have discovered is that regular browsers just seem to ignore these properties.
When you're set up, I recommend you don't start designing a design for every platform. Try to cover all handheld and small units in one CSS and make your design cover 100% of the display width.
When it comes to getting a good opinion on how it will display on a mobile device I recommend getting Opera Mobile Emulator (http://www.opera.com/developer/tools/mobile/) and Safari (http://www.apple.com/safari/). (since you already got ff, chrome and the devil: ie)
Operas emulator works great and gives a good view on how your site will display. Safari is just to test Iphone compability. In developer menus in Safari you can set safari to send a user agent string so servers will see that you're on an Iphone (which you're not).
You can accomplish this in other browsers as well but Safari does this so neat.
One problem with Safari, though! You probably want to test your simplified design in Safari, because iOS runs a Safari mobile version. But the screen size which is interpreted by the browser will correlate to your desktop screen resolution. Not as nice as operas emulator, in other words.
To tackle this just change the TWO media strings of the CSS to a screen width larger then yours, and resize the browser window to the portrait or landscape size of the display you're actually testing eg Iphone: 320x480px
When you're done change the lines back to the minimum screen size you want your special handheld CSS to work with. And most important, get your friend with an Iphone to confirm it really works!
Typoform's server is finally up and running again. So now their website is what it was supposed to be all along.
I straightened out some issues they had, and it was actually first time I handled a mac os x based server. Only thing that made me surprised was that the pre-installed PHP with mac os x built in server doesn't ship with freetype font support.